Saturday, December 12, 2015

Missing: 19,000 Gallons


According to the USGS, the average person uses from 80 to 100 gallons of water per day.  For a household of three, then, the Homestead would be expected to meter between 7,400 to 9,300 gallons/month.  Our actual averagefrom August through October 2014was 3,000 gallons/month (or 32 gallons per person per day).  I don't know?  Maybe we are not very clean.

Well, something has changed.  From the end of October through yesterday afternoon, we had metered 19,000 gallons.  Holy schmoly.  We must be really clean now.  Unfortunately for the soap companies, I still only shower once a week.  So where is the water going?  I wish I knew.  There are obvious answers:  1.  We left a tap on.  2.  We have a big leak.  But I can find no evidence of either problem.

Now I am checking the water meter every other day.  In the 55 hour period from Wednesday morning to Friday afternoon, we used 200 gallons.  That is a rate of 2,976 gallons/month.  Bingo.  That is what I would expect based on our August through October consumption.  So, I guess the problem fixed itself.  But, where did all the water go?

2 comments:

  1. You might consider the possibility that some clown is next door watering his trees from a hydrant unknowingly connected to your house! Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It was the first thing I checked. At least, I checked that one. I hope there are no others.

      Delete