Saturday, January 12, 2013

One of the Eagles Has Landed, Briefly

I was slowly backing the Chev out of the driveway trying not to skid on the ice when two bald eagles flew directly over my head.  I stopped in the middle of the street and watched them spin up through my neighbor's green ash tree.  At first I thought it was a pair, but I soon realized that it was two aggressive males, and that they were fighting over something.  After a split second of air-to-air combat and dive-bombing through the tree branches over my head, something fat, gray, and furry landed on the street beside me.  I put the truck in gear, thinking that I'd move it off the street and get out, but before I could open the door one of the eagles landed on the gray mass and settled himself.  He paused, cocked a warning eye at me, picked up his prize, and flew low under the elm tree and up over the roof of The Homestead.  He had the gray fur in his talons.  What was it?  Not really a muskrat, too big for a prairie dog, maybe a house cat?  Even better, maybe it was one of those little rat dogs that have become part of the American uniform.  In any case, he flew low over a couple of houses and out of sight to the east.  A couple of seconds later, the second eagle dropped into formation directly behind him, and they were both gone.  Just then, I remembered the camera in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment