Friday, January 11, 2013

Nordic Games


I couldn't drive across the ford last week because of the ice, so I parked at the creek.  I put my track in the lower meadow this year as a result.  It is a .37 mile oval on relatively flat ground.  The program requires a little trek up to the meadow, followed by four circuits, and then a return to the truck.  Altogether it is about two miles of skiing.  The first circuit is always a warm-up, and the last is a cool-down, but the other two are timed.  Last week's conditions were conducive to speed.  On the second day, I turned in a lap of 4:06, with a top speed of 15.8 mph.  This week, we've had a bunch of new snow, so the conditions have been mixed.  My best time today was 4:50.  VSO also came out to offer some competition.  She put up a very respectable 6:06 on her second circuit in relatively unconsolidated snow, but faded off the back of the bunch on the third lap.  Naturally, when she fell down in the woods on the way to the truck, I started giving her a hard time about learning to ski in Norway only to be shown up by a Swede in southern Utah.  She replied that the other thing she learned in Norway was that Swedes are both stupid and immoral.  That shut me up.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha ha! Good one for Val!

    Big Daddy (aka Another Dumb Swede)

    ReplyDelete