Monday, April 4, 2011

Hiding the Mess

There are those who like to try making complex pictures, or at least to try harmonizing complexity in their pictures. Some have said that Garry Winogrand was like that, although one of my favorite pictures of his, Statue of Liberty Ferry, New York (1971), is, perhaps, simpler than it looks at first. In any case, my own intent is to do the opposite. Mostly this is because I’m not competent to handle complexity, but also it is because I am always looking for a thing that reminds me of peace.

When one is looking for pictures that are not complex, one quickly sees the advantages provided by fog and ice. Fog covers the detritus of man’s rush to build as many pink stucco mansions as the southwest can hold, and ice covers the trash. Yesterday, we awoke to fog and ice. Valerie suggested that it might be a good time for making pictures. She was probably right, but by the time I got around to it, the strong April sun had burned most of it away. I drove out to a clump of cottonwood trees that I like. What I found (above) was trash, and weeds, and the roof-tops of a development in the distance.

I have, on the other hand, been lucky with that clump before (below). It just goes to show that fog and ice can be an advantage, but that it is best to wake up early if you want to use it.

3 comments:

  1. There's something about the symmetry of Winogrand's photo that doesn't sit right with me. And the couple at the center are annoying, they are too hip. It's not a bad photo, but I prefer your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Keith, I'll probably keep carrying the camera since you can't shoot a lucky one if you leave it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get you one of those small point & shot 12mp and slip it in your pocket and you'll never be without it. Canon makes a nice one I hear.

    ReplyDelete