Sunday, April 24, 2011

Freeway Booty

Near Parowan, there is a large truck-stop. Evidently truckers take advantage of the stopping to adjust the black bungy cords atop their loads. Occasionally an adjustment goes awry and the bungy is flung clear once the semi hits freeway speeds. As a result, the freeway roadsides near Parowan are a virtual Bermuda Triangle of lost bungies. This is, of course, unfortunate for the trucking industry, but provides a bit of a cottage industry for Rural Ways.

This morning, at dawn, I went bungy hunting on I-15. Between Parowan and Summit, I found nine black bungies (see picture). Now, this is definitely not something for you to try at home. It is dangerous work. When I was a kid, the posted speed limit on most freeways was 55 MPH, and everybody knew you could go 62 MPH without risking a ticket. Today, the posted speed on I-15 is 80 MPH, and most people will settle in at just over 85 MPH. If you don't, personally, feel like being vaporized, it is best not to slow down out there . . . which makes it tough to pick up bungies.

My preferred technique is to use the car. It is low to the ground and means that you can reach out the open door and snatch the bungy without stopping. (The pick-up truck is too high; you actually have to put the vehicle in "Park" and climb down, which is a no-no.) The best way, of course, is with a gunner. That way, you can focus on driving, and he or she can make the grab. But, if you're flying solo, you need the bungy to come up on the driver's side of the vehicle, which means skimming the far right side of the shoulder, or even going down into the ditch if necessary. It is also important not to be fooled by the strips of shredded tire that are routinely laying on the freeway shoulder. These can be tempting decoys, but a practiced eye can help you avoid slowing for them.

Despite the need for a sharp eyes and steady nerves, this work can be tremendously rewarding. The retail price of a 1,650 PSI bungy strap can run from $1.79 to $2.99 depending on the length. Though much of the highway booty is damaged, you can probably get one good strap out of every two grabs, which means that I may have netted $8 worth of bungies for Rural Ways today. Not a bad day's work.

4 comments:

  1. Humm, you probably could have made more money raking leaves or tilling a neighbors garden. I would pay you $10 for that, and your life wouldn't be in danger. But perhaps you like the 'thrill'. My parting words of wisdom to you would be, "Do NOT seek the treasure!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what's the net after you deduct the fuel? Or did you combine your hunt with another task?

    These bungies are weird creatures. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were aliens in the style of odd "Hitchhiker's Guide" type. I always keep 2 in my toolbox in the van and they seem to multiply in the darkness. And then I lose one or two along the road ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Sandy, I would be happy to rake leaves, but I would hate to steal that opportunity from the young men who live in your house.

    Big D, you are right: I did not net $8. I grossed $8. I burned at least 1/2 gallon of fuel, so my net was closer to $6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a new use for busted bungies today. This trucker had bungies that were about a foot long hanging through his running boards. The hook was removed and the hook end kept the bungies in place. With 10 or 12 of them it appeared as if his truck had leather fringe. Very classy.

    ReplyDelete