Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Green River, Utah

The guy at the front desk told me that the wind chill was minus 23. Given that, I probably should have been happy that the truck started, and I probably should have just driven straight out onto the freeway. But, I didn't. I wanted to see the sunrise on the Book Cliffs. My mind's eye was full of last night's sunset: The cliffs were alive with light, glowing like a million embers along the northern skyline. So, I turned north just outside of town and drove along the east side of the river until I came to a high point where I could look down into its valley. It was a great spot, but I was not rewarded with much of a sunrise. There were a few bright shafts, but mostly there were clouds. The river, sluggish with ice, issued from the cliffs in front of me and spread into the valley, but the hills refused to glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment