Thursday, February 3, 2011

Arapahoe Basin, Colorado

At one point, Benson said, "There must be a reason why no one is skiing in Montezuma Bowl." My response was that we needed to stop worrying about what all the people from Vegas might be doing and go our own way. He couldn't argue, so we traversed out there. It was hateful: The surface was bulletproof and covered with ACL-tearing frozen chicken-heads. I told him that it was stupid to ski Montezuma when, obviously, it wasn't any good.

Instead, we worked our way around the mountain until we found Pallavicini. Perfection, finally. Soft, mid-winter styrofoam with smooth sections perfect for beginners. I was home . . . I was in my happy place. Not Benson, though. He thought he wanted to try the West Turbo. So, I let him. We agreed to meet at the lift. Benson never arrived. After a while, Danny said, "Hey, there is somebody on a snowboard." "It can't be him," I responded, "That guy is just sitting there." Unfortunately, it was him. But, he wasn't the same. His psyche had been damaged by the crawling he had done. We took a couple more laps, but I'm not sure his hands ever stopped shaking.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if I like the fact that you write a blog about your day....I don't want to hear about the craziness! Hopefully he will learn to just enjoy the easy stuff and quit trying to kill himself. Am I really so hard to live with that he doesn't want to be around any more??? Please tell me it ain't so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it is you, Maki, or me. But, the next time Benson feels the need to explore a 60 foot cliff on his snowboard, I would like for him to give me his car keys first. My biggest fear yesterday was that it would take the Ski Patrol a few hours to find him and that Danny and I would be without transportation during that period. We would probably have missed happy hour at the lodge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully, DD, it's being on the mountain with YOU that makes him that way. I think for all those times that YOU gave HIM 'sewing machine' legs, he wants to prove to you that he can go to those places of his own accord.
    We have a family trip coming up. I'm hoping that since you won't be there we won't have any of these issues! But I guess I'll never know, will I? If it hadn't been for your blog, I never would have known about this incident! :)
    Strangely silent since your trip.....nothing to blog about???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just noticed the picture of the week! OH MY GOODNESS!!

    ReplyDelete