Saturday, August 6, 2022

Hot Water; Hot Work

This week we had a brand new water heater installed at The Homestead.  So far; so good.  But, how are we going to get the old heater out of the cellar?  Let's say it weighs 200 or 250 lbs.  That is not an impossible thing to move, especially if you have two or three people.  (I can't really count VSO because she recently spent a week in the hospital, so call it two.)  But it is, essentially, an impossible thing to control.  It has no handles and is round and slippery.  If you start it up the stairs and lose control of it, someone else will be in the hospital.  In the event, I screwed a stud to the doorframe at the top of the stairs and set up a Z-drag to control it.  Then I levered it up, step by step.  A couple of hot hours of work.

2 comments:

  1. Dang, I drove through your town two weeks ago (my folks live in Cedar and I visited them; mom insisted we take the loop from town to Cedar Breaks to Brianhead and down to Parowan). Wish I could have stopped and helped. ;) I replaced my water heater about 4 months ago and had a similar experience, but empty and strapped to a dolly did the job for me. Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a two person job, Jess, and I could certainly have used your help. What the plumber said was that, over the past twenty years, the unit had filled with minerals. So I had to drag an extra two hundred pounds of Calcium and Magnesium up the stairs.

      Delete