Sunday, August 28, 2022

Horse Canyon

I've hiked in the lower end of Horse Canyon before, in 2018, but I didn't realize that, like too many of the canyons along the Book Cliffs, it is blocked by private property about half an hour up.  If you start at the old bomb cache and walk to the fence and back, you'll have a one hour outing.  One highlight for me is that there is a surprising amount of Douglas fir and Rocky Mountain maple in the canyon bottom, which isn't much above 6,000 feet.  Another highlight, at least for a few minutes yesterday afternoon, was a strong storm that popped over the ridge just as I was returning to the cache.  It started with gumball sized hail, which I avoided with a rush to the Chev, and finished with enough rain to start the washes flowing.  (One final small highlight was the early flowering of the goldenrod and rabbitbrush.  If you dislike summer as much as I do, this is a welcome sign of the times.)

No comments:

Post a Comment