Friday, February 18, 2022

View from the Office

This week, I went down to the La Sals for a tour of the winter recreation program at Geyser Pass.  With Brian, I skinned up the road towards Gold Basin and looked at the yurts, the weather stations, and patterns of burned forest following the Pack Creek Fire.  Remarkably, after nearly 50 days of sunshine, a small storm rolled through and we got about two inches of new snow.  It blocked the famous views of Moab, but added a fresh, soft layer underfoot.  The most beautiful and otherworldly part of the day was the downhill runfloating on the skis through blackened trees with the snow coming down.

2 comments:

  1. So gorgeous. I was a co BAER team lead on this fire -- it was a first time visit to the La Sals for me. So pretty. One of the RedCastle colleagues at GTAC skis the burn scar pretty regularly now and loves the new lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise to me, Jess. I did not expect the fire to create new skiing opportunities, but it did. The lines through the burned forest are surreal: You are carving in a white cloud through a matrix of black verticals.

      Delete