Saturday, February 6, 2021

The Ugly Stick

In order to finish the facia repair at 420 Grand, I decided that I should reduce the size of one of the intersecting shrubs.  I don't know exactly what it is.  Because it has awl-shaped leaves, it must be a juniper, but I doubt that it is native:  Probably a landscape planting by a former owner that has done well in its sheltered location.  It hasn't necessarily bothered me very much, but I can't reach the facia behind it.

I thought that I could use the chainsaw to convert the sprawling shrub to a box.  In other words, I could flatten the front, pushing it back towards the house, and cut off the top, bringing it down to a manageable five feet tall.  As I worked, I began to realize that my preferred dimensions would remove all the leaves, preserving only the lower trunk.  Is it ugly?  No, not ugly.  A bonsai.

No comments:

Post a Comment