Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy V-Day

Over the past two and a half years, Green Chev Two (GC2) has made more than fifty crossings without a breakdown.  So, after 515 miles of the latest trip, there was no shame in the alternator failure that left me completely without power.  And stranded (above).  I was 35 miles from civilization and there was no cell service.  It took 60 minutes of hiking-biking-walking to get to a small summit about 30 miles from Milford, Utah where I was able to reach VSO on the phone.  She agreed to an 85-mile rescue operation that we expected to take less than an hour and a half.


More than two and a half hours later, I had given up and started to prepare the sleeping bag for a night in the (inoperable) truck.  But, it didn't feel right:  Without phone service, I didn't know what had happened to her and feared the worst.  Just as I began to pull my boots off, I saw headlights.  VSO had made an epic journey in what turned out to be a violent snow storm (above).  She had been reduced to 35 MPH and had gone off the road once (saved by some good Samaritans with a truck and chain).  Together, we made it to the Homestead by midnight.  Today I returned (in GC1, below) to retrieve my valuables.  At one point in last night's ordeal, VSO said, "Well, I think this proves that I love you."  Indeed.  Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment