Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Big Trees


This week we're marking timber in the Sierras.  The marking guides have a 30 inch diameter limit.  Now, in southern Utah, that wouldn't mean much because 30 inch trees are rare.  In the Sierras, however, 30 inch trees are common.  In fact, 50 inch trees are common.  The twin red fir trees pictured above are 54 inches (left) and 52 inches (right) in diameter.  Even if you could grow trees that big in southern Utah, it might take around 500 years or so.  In the Sierra, you can do it in 200 or less.  Count the rings in the picture below, and you'll see what I mean.


Before I left southern Utah, my friend Vern told me wistfully that I would see 60 inch ponderosas and Jeffrey pines in the Sierras.  This last picture (below) is for you, Vern.  The Jeffrey pine at the rear, with the D-tape, is 64 inches in diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment