Saturday, May 12, 2012

Big Rocks, Utah


On Wednesday night I was in Loa, so I decided to camp at Big Rocks.  Big Rocks is only a couple of miles from town and it has been designated an OHV sacrifice area by the BLM, so it could have been bad.  (And, from the trash and graffiti, I suspect that it normally is bad.)  But, on a Wednesday in May, it was totally empty.  I got off the Big Hollow Road quite a distance, pulled into a flat with afternoon shade from a big, er, rock, and settled in.  There was good picture making weather, the cacti were in bloom, and I had cell coverage so I could talk to the girls without driving around.  When the sun set over the Aquarius Plateau, I had a brat for dinner, and went to sleep with a moth fluttering around my head.  In the morning, the sun came up over, you guessed it, the Thousand Lake Mountain, while I made a big thermos of coffee and ate pop tarts.  This was my kind of nightsleeping rough in Wayne County, Utah.  It is hard to imagine that heaven will be any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment