Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Trees with Bad Character



At Rural Ways we have some experience with tree cutting and removal.  Unfortunately, most of the experience has been bad.  Nevertheless, Tiger recently asked me to help him remove a tree at his house.  He was aware of my poor track record, but must have felt that I had learned from my mistakes.  The tree in question, pictured above, was a relatively small silver maple (Acer saccharinum), and Tiger first asked me for my opinion of the tree.  It was a request that he soon regretted.  I went on at length about the poor form, weak wood, and shallow roots of silver maple trees in general, and of this silver maple tree in particular.  Tiger soon noted that he'd got my point, and he started the chainsaw to drown me out.  From that time on, things went pretty well.  We had the tree on the ground in less than an hour, and there was no bodily injury or property damage to speak of.  As I packed up my tools to go home, however, I couldn't resist mentioning that I thought Tiger would be much happier with his life now that the treewith all of its poor character traitswas gone.  I'm sure he just rolled his eyes.

1 comment:

  1. You could have also pointed out that Tiger would have less raking to do without the poor form maple.

    ReplyDelete