Thursday, September 1, 2011

What is Wrong with Starting Early?

It is an unfortunate fact that we have not experienced the normal late August cooling trend at The Homestead. We have had consistent, and persistent, temperatures in the nineties. Which means that the best time to get anything done is between 6a and 10a. After that, work is simply a suffer-fest.

In addition to the weather, we are still experiencing the joys of home renovation. As I noted last week, we are in the middle of a project to winterize the back porch. This project, in conjunction with the circumstances of our current weather, brings me to the reason for this post (yes, despite the evidence, there is a reason).

With the exception of the Mexican guys who replaced our roof, every contractor we've met this summer seems to start his work day at 10a. When they tell me they'll be here in the morning, I'm standing out there at 7a. After three hours of waiting, they usually come slouching in with a cigarette and a cup of coffee sometime before eleven (if they show up at all). They work until noon or 1p, take a lunch break, then come back and pack up their tools so that they can be gone by 3p. Is this the normal work day?

If it were me, I'd be on the job site by 7a at the latest. Yeah, you can be somewhat quiet as you unload the sheetrock (so you don't wake the neighbors), but by 7:30a there is no more Mr. Nice-Guy: The nail gun is switched to full automatic. By the time the sun is really hot, you've got half your work done. Plus, the project takes just three or four days instead of a couple of months. Is there something wrong with starting early?

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you and this post yesterday (Labor Day) morning as I was in my garage at 7:30am using my circular saw. Then about an hour later I was in my back yard using the weed whacker before mowing. I felt a little bit bad for the noise...then quickly got over it. Glad it wouldn't have bothered you had you been closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, if you're getting up early to work, you can be my neighbor anytime. In fact, if you like to work, you can live in my house. (Not sure where we'll put all your girls, though.)

    ReplyDelete