Sunday, September 4, 2011

First of the Firewood

Tiger said that the sleeping campers would be up and on their ATVs soon enough. And he was right. The roar from dozens (hundreds?) of revving joy-riders soon filled the canyon and swamped any remaining sympathy I may have had for those who were startled from slumber at 7a by a pair of chainsaws. Besides, if they'd read my last post, they'd have known that we'd be starting early, and that this wasn't going to be a good place for sleeping in.

Tiger cut and bucked probably four dead trees, including a pine, a true fir, and two Douglas firs. I bucked a downed Douglas fir, and felled two others, (only one of which got hung up, costing us an hour of fooling around to get it on the ground). Together, we filled the Chev and loaded about 2/3 of Tiger's trailer before noon. I usually get eight truckloads each fall, so there are seven to go.

4 comments:

  1. There's plenty of accessible firewood on the Payette, unfortunately cost benefit ratio would not work in your favor to haul fire from McCall to Parowan.

    Is that truck parked with a vehicle length off a designated road? Or can you drive willy nilly on the Dixie or whichever NF that is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notice the wheelbarrow on the load? That was used to haul the wood out of the forest to the road. Nope, I wrote the ROD for the Dixie's Travel Management Plan myself, so I know it ain't a free-fer-all anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hauling that firewood must be a good workout, probably helps keeps the BMI low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but you should see Tiger. I out-weigh him by probably 35 lbs, but I've been unable to out-work him. That is one hard dude . . . makes me look positively chubby.

    ReplyDelete