Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fencing

When we moved to Escalante I put up a field fence mostly to keep out the dogs. It wasn't deer proof, but we theorized that it served as a deer deterrent. I mean, why jump it when you can walk next door and eat those trees instead? We didn't avoid all depredation, though, and I even bought some panther piss once to try keeping them off a miserable little ponderosa that I was trying to grow. Likewise, the Homestead came without fencing. It also came with a deer trail through it. When we moved in, the previous owner had left some rotting autumn pumpkins on the porch. The deer ate every scrap of those. Now we are trying to get the orchard in shape and we will start the garden shortly, so what are we going to do about the deer? Um . . . a fence? I'm going to make this one taller, but I don't have the resources to make it deer proof. What I do have is the mother of all corners. I cut a five inch locust out of the side yard because it was growing into the power line. It was so heavy I could only lift one end at a time. But once I got it into place and poured a bag of cement down the hole, I had what I wanted: A fence post to last through all eternity.

2 comments:

  1. Try spreading the by-product of your personal shearing around the fence line, I've heard that will keep deer away. Well, okay I saw it in a movie, The Rookie, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your in law's tried that with dog hair....I think you would be better off to fence it all in and then get a dog (dirty, smell, oh-so-hairy, and deer repellent).

    ReplyDelete