Sunday, January 23, 2022

The Bibliophile's Burden

Whenever it comes time to move, I am confronted by the books.  We have a lot of books.  And books are very heavy.  In fact, by volume, they are heavier than furniture.  When I move, I put the books in boxes.  There are three sizes of boxes at Home Depot or Walmart.  A small box holds 40 pounds of books; a medium box holds 60 pounds of books.  I don't put books in the large boxes because I can't lift them.  Why not get rid of the books?  After all, every book is now available on Google Play, or could be stored on an SD card the size of a corn flake.  Today, I am reading "Educated" by Tara Westover.  In her family, they stored food, fuel, and gold bullion to prepare for the end of civilization.  I guess we're the same.  When the apocalypse arrives and the internet goes dark, those with books will survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment