Monday, July 5, 2021

Fleet News

We generally buy high mileage cars and drive them as far as they will go.  We plan, really, to keep them forever and will only move on when they can no longer be trusted or repaired.  Sadly, the Vue finally reached that stage:  After 307,000 miles, the motor was strong, but the front end had a chronic rattle, shimmy, shake, and wander that we could not fix.  We put bearings, bushings, tie-rods and tires into it, but couldn't settle it down.  We decided it was time.  We told the guy at the used car lot that we wanted to trade it in.  He took one look and skipped the appraisal.  It was going to auction.  In exchange, we got another Chevy.  A ten year old sport ute thing (a lot like the Vue) but with only 64,000 miles, a 243,000 mile improvement.  (I have never in my life owned a vehicle with fewer than 100,000 miles.)  It is in very nice shape, probably too nice for us, but there are really just two things I don't like about it:  1) The color is too gaudy, nearly ticket-me red and 2) Chevy named it "Captiva."  Captiva?  I asked VSO about it and she said, "It's an island."  "What island?"  I asked, "Alcatraz?"  I thought that was pretty witty, but evidently there is a resort island in Florida called Captiva:  White sand beaches and yachts.  Just our thing.

3 comments:

  1. Only 64K miles? Truly, you have taken up a decadent lifestyle to go with your rural ways ;) I should talk. We went decadent a few years ago with a ticket- me red Jetta diesel/6sp. with 75K on the clock. Nicest car I've owned. Also the most expensive. Still conflicted about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JD! It is certainly difficult to imagine you behind the wheel of a sleek, modern Jetta. I can more easily picture you in a 1979 Nova with a little spot primer on the quarter panels.

      Delete
  2. Prior comment came from owner of your prior canoe.

    ReplyDelete