Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Botanical Diversity

I don't think much of the Wasatch.  It has become so crowded and so urban that I have mostly written it off.  When I moved to Heber City in the late '80s to work as a ski patrolman at Park City, I lived in a 1950s motel on Main Street that had a weekly rate.  It also had electricity and "direct dial" telephones.  (Did it have indoor plumbing?)  Today, Heber is one of the top three destinations for the great and the good as they flee Austin and San Francisco.  Mayhem.  The Guard Road is now paved from top to bottom and the traffic is so heavy that you have to wait to walk to your truck.  (Today, while I was waiting, a fat guy blew by me on a 40 CC mini-bike revved to a full-throttled scream.  I am not kidding.  At least he was wearing a shirt to cover his tats.)  But, even in the middle of all the noise, there is this incredible diversity of flora that simply blows me away:  Owl clover, geranium, lupine, rose, groundsel, chokecherry, gilia, and paintbrush, not to mention aspen, limber pine, and Douglas fir.  It would be beautiful if you could ignore the crowds.

No comments:

Post a Comment