Saturday, August 29, 2020

One Eighth


With two houses needing fuel for the wood stove, my preseason calculation is 16 loads.  Sixteen truck loads of wood:  Eight for The Homestead and eight for 420 Grand.  Actually, I didn't burn all my 2019/2020 wood at 420, so I probably don't need as much this year.  In any case, I got started on the Utah portion of the task this weekend.  I had located a large, dead and down, ponderosa between town and Yankee, so I went there and began cutting.  What I soon realized (something I should have known) was that the wood had not cured and that each round weighed 200 lbs.  I could not lift the pieces into the truck.  So, I cut a load of branch wood (above) and took that to town.  I returned with a maul and a momma.  Which is to say that I broke the rounds into five or six pieces, and then VSO helped me load it (below).  It was back breaking work, but she did much of it.  She is stronger than she looks.


No comments:

Post a Comment