Thursday, June 18, 2020

False Sense of Security


The house at 420 Grand has, unfortunately, been vacant during much of 2020.  Under the restrictions of the virus crisis, we have spent most of the past few months in Utah.  It is also unfortunate that the crime rate in California is higher than the one in Utah:  Vacant houses are sometimes targeted for vandalism, or worse.  I have installed improved locks, chains, and lighting to keep people off the property while we are gone.  It has not been completely effective, so I began researching security cameras.  After a while I decided that I didn't want to spend a bunch of time and money just to look at my (likely) empty back yard.  Do I really want to spend hours downloading images of stray cats and squawking pinyon jays?  So, I decided to fake it.  I installed a dummy camera in the driveway, under the motion sensor lights.  It came complete with a warning sign.  I'm not sure what I'll do when the ruse is discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment