Saturday, December 28, 2019

Finding Things


We were finishing lunch in a little alcove out of the wind when VSO said, "I noticed a few lithics on that last bench, we should find a place to stop and look for artifacts."  Not ten seconds later she said, "Hey, look at this piece of corrugated."  We were, in fact, lunching in a mini-midden, a small pile of pre-historic kitchen tools.  Within a few minutes we had noticed four or five pieces of black and white that belonged to a single jar that the girls were able to partially reconstruct (above).


We got going again and scrambled up through a few more sections of West Lime Canyon, including a number of deep pools and chattering cascades (above).  VSO was running out of energy, but EDO wanted to climb to the rim.  I went back and forth between them until I had VSO turned around and headed down.  Then I went back to EDO and she said, "I think I found an elk."  Good Lord.  The grand-daddy elk of southern Utah (below).  This thing was a Boone and Crockett-style eight feet across.  It was more like goat country, but I guess elk can go anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment