Sunday, February 11, 2018

Mixed Meta-Myths


With EDO, I was out walking in one of the local washes yesterday when I looked up into the setting sun and saw this figure silhouetted there.  "Hera," EDO said immediately, "the wife of Zeus."  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my daughter knows more about Greek mythology than I do, but I am usually swifter with the snappy allusions.  Not this time:  She immediately followed up with "The Divine Bovine."  A good one.  And, thus, we stopped to worship.  Back at home, however, when we related the story to VSO, she retorted that (traditionally) worshipping a (golden) cow was a precursor to being thumped by a pair of stone tablets.  Holy, um, Heifer!  Being around these two young ladies requires quick mental access to centuries of art, philosophy, religion, and literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment