Sunday, January 8, 2017

Vintage Photography


In the days before digital cameras and photo editing software, a serious picture maker knew how to develop film and create prints.  In other words, being a good photographer meant having some dark room skills.  I, of course, was never very good and my dark room skills were abysmal.  I could only rarely position the film properly on the roll inside the development tank: One frame always touched another and my negatives were usually smudged.  In addition, when it was time to make prints, I often contaminated them with dirt and scratches.  In sum, all the analog photos I ever developed looked like crap.

They looked, in fact, like the picture I've included in this post.  This picture was, however, a perfectly niceif dulldigital image that I made yesterday while trying to capture an interesting swirl of clouds in an overcast sky.  Instead of deleting it, which would have been good, I used a photo editing program (Nik) to create a "vintage" image:  Today's software will convert a digital image into something that looks like I made it by hand.  In the past, I spent many frustrating hours trying (and failing) to make cleanunsmudged and unscratchedprints using chemical baths in a dark room, but now I can get the same effecta crappy picturewith the click of my mouse.  What a development!

No comments:

Post a Comment