Saturday, May 14, 2016

From Strength to Strength


I know that my reader does not come here for updates on VSO's progress as a famous painter.  (Or, maybe he does.)  So, this will be my last post about it for a while.  (Or, unless something big happens next week.)  Anyway, we just learned that one of VSO's paintings will be featured in the Southern Utah Museum of Art's "First Peak Gala."  Their first show, ever.  This is from their blurb:

This juried show of 35 pieces will be on exhibit and for sale from June 25 until July 16.  This is your opportunity to view and purchase art from the best of our regional artists.

Did you read that?  VSO is one of the best.  It is something I've been saying for a long time.  I guess I wasn't wrong.  And, my reader surely knows by now that being a painter is a hard slog.  You go for months, years even, doubting yourself and winning nothing.  Showing up at art festivals in a booth next to a guy selling farting pig sculptureshe finally feels so sorry for you that he walks over to buy a $3 greeting card from the $2000 wad he pulled in that afternoonand going home flat broke.

After all that, when you get on a roll, like VSO has this month, it is something to celebrate.  And, I'm damned proud of her.  I may have said that already.  So, I'm going to put in one final plug.  She recently took a little mental break from painting red rocks, and blazed through a bunch of floral compositions.  This is something new and different for her, and is a little outside of the genre that has made her famous.  But, it is really cool, in my opinion, and the pieces are bright and vigorous.  She has started selling them at Daily Paint Works.  So, check it out.

3 comments:

  1. Is VSO's work connected to the current BYU Museum of Art exhibit "Capturing the Canyons?" I can't tell if it's related to the KUED video I saw her in. http://moa.byu.edu/project/capturing-the-canyons-artists-in-the-national-parks/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess. No. As far as I know, the two are not connected. Did you go to the BYU show? The Canyon's exhibition was downstairs. Upstairs they had the "Branding of the West," or something like that. VSO and I went to see that (actually, we saw it all) and really liked it. BYU has an outstanding collection of Maynard Dixon, much of which was on display. They also brought in a lot of Herbert Dunton, borrowed from a museum in Texas, which I thought was excellent. VSO enjoyed some large, exuberant pieces by Minerva Teichert that gave her some ideas of things to try. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew she was one of the best a long time ago, that's why we have an Orlemann at home and one at the office.

    ReplyDelete