Sunday, September 13, 2015

Biggest One I've Seen


I was out thrashing around on the plateau today and I found this Douglas fir.  It was still alive and pushing 60 inches.  I looked on the Arizona State Forestry website for the champion, but Douglas fir wasn't listed.  I haven't seen one this big in Arizona, so I'm going to call mine the champion.  Of course, the national champion for Rocky Mountain Douglas fir has supposedly been located in Montana.  They've recorded it at 223 inches, which blows my mind.  On the coast they've got one that is supposed to be 599.  Is that even possible?  I'll have to see it to believe it I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Someone told me the other day that these champion trees are rated for their CIRCUMFERENCE. Ok. That makes more sense. The tree I found has a circumference of 179 inches (diameter times pi). The Rocky Mountain champ has a diameter of about 71 inches (circumference divided by pi).

    ReplyDelete