Saturday, August 15, 2015

NoGo


The northern goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) is a wide-ranging forest raptor, with habitat throughout the northern hemisphereEurope, Asia, North America.  Despite its wide range, it is generally considered a sensitive species, with some concern about potential population declines due to loss of habitat.  For that reason, much forest management in northern goshawk (NoGo) habitat over the past several decades has focused on habitat maintenance and improvement.  Some of the best NoGo habitat in North America is found on the Kaibab Plateau in northern Arizona.  I was working there this week, collecting data in a ponderosa pine stand.  At one of my plots, and, as if on cue, I was visited by a local resident.  It squawked at me for 10 or 15 minutes until I went away.

No comments:

Post a Comment