Sunday, April 12, 2015

Steep Country


Along with EDO, I got into some steep country today.  I finally turned around on a 15 foot pour-over.  I was half way up and could have surmounted it.  But one of the rules in steep country is that you don't go up something you can't come down:  Climbing down is almost always more difficult than climbing up.  (This is a rule that could also benefit the political classes.  But let's not spend any time on that.)  With EDO below me and no clear route to the top, even if I made it over the present obstacle, it seemed wise to try it another day.  So we went back to the truck.  Which, in itself, was not easy because we'd already come up a rough mile and a half.  The thing that I kept noticing, though, after a good many years of goofing around with EDO is that she has become a strong hiker and scrambler.  She used to need a lot of help from me.  Now she needs none.  Pretty soon, I will be asking her for a boost.  The other thing I noticed was the diversity:  Blue spruce, ponderosa, limber, white fir, bristlecone, juniper, Douglas fir.  Really a nice spot.  Plus, there was more Rocky Mountain maple (pictured below) than I've seen anywhere.  This is going to be a nice little canyon in the fall when the maple leaves are yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment