Sunday, September 22, 2013

Lodgepole Pine Surprise


I thought I knew most of what there was to know about lodgepole pine. It is an early seral species that grows in the Rocky Mountains in dense stands of straight stems. Hence the name "lodgepole." We are, however, working this week along the Oregon coast. And, much to my surprise, there is lodgepole pine growing right down along the beach. These lodgepole do not, however, have straight stems. They are twisted by the wind coming off the ocean and tend to be stunted and bushy. Hence, noted one of my colleagues, the scientific name "Pinus contorta." Very interesting. The common name makes it sound like the tree is tall and straight, while the scientific name makes it sound like the tree is bent and twisted. Now I know why: It depends on where you find it.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that the needles on the Pinus contorta is what gave the latin some meaning. Is it true that the needles are twisted?

    ReplyDelete