Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rural Ways' Energy Saving Tips

Since we frequently post information about the travails of wintery weather, it seems only fair to point out that southern Utah is actually known for its bright sunshine and mild winters . . . which is what we are enjoying now. After two weeks of cold and snow, a mid-winter thaw arrived at The Homestead on about Thursday or Friday, and we have since been enjoying sunny afternoons in the 40s, with overnight lows above 25F. Despite this respite, however, I have learned from my brother-in-law on the east coast that winter is not over, and that the fight against cold weather and high energy bills goes on. Thus, in the spirit of liberte, egalite and faternite, Rural Ways presents its top three energy saving tips for winter living:

Get Dressed. I know that my readers are tired of hearing this . . . so this will be the last time . . . but there where does it say that all Americans should wear shorts and flip-flops all the time? When did shorts and flip-flops become the uniform for EVERY-person, EVERY-where regardless of the weather or the activity? If you want to cut heating costs, get dressed. At Rural Ways, it is often in the 30s when we roll out of bed: wool socks, long underwear bottoms, jeans, t-shirt, long underwear tops, sweatshirt, ski cap. Bingo. Ready for anything.

Look for Free Energy. It can be difficult to use energy efficiently, but sometimes there is help available for free. In the winter, let the sun in, it is a powerful source of heat; in the summer, block it to keep the house cool. Always put the biggest water pot you can carry on top of the woodstove; it will be ready for a bath in the evening, and will save your hot water heater from doing all the work. And, of course, always look to position your heat source at the lowest possible point; the heat will rise and warm everything above it.

Plug the Holes. The best thing we have done at the The Homestead in the past two years is to seal the cracks. When you are standing in the middle of your living room and you can feel the winter wind ruffling your hair, it is going to be difficult to conserve energy. So, you start by plugging the holes. Without spending a ton of money, you can caulk, glaze, and weather strip; you can add storm doors and storm windows; you can stuff insulation in the cracks and spray foam in the crevices. These are low cost, low skill activities that can make a very big difference.

6 comments:

  1. Drew Dog,

    Truly wise comments, all. Better for the wallet and better for our shared home.

    But as an acclimated Canuck, I must admit some shock -- * you need* long underwear when it's only in the 30s?! Getting soft, old man? ;-)

    Big Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big D,

    Just a point of clarification: The thirties are in the bedroom, it is colder than that outside. But, your broader point is well taken. I do seem to be weakening with age. Why, just last night, my daughter asked for a second crust of dry bread for dinner . . . and, I almost let her have it.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. DD,

    You just let her each the crust!? Dude -- you're way past soft. My kids have to wrestle me for the crusts, and so far I've only been beaten once, when 5-yr-old knocked my tooth out and I forfeited so I could glue it back in.

    Big D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Daddy,

    D'ya ever read Steinbeck? You're just like one of his characters, Carl Tiflin: "[He] hated weakness and sickness, and he held a violent contempt for helplessness."

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read (past tense) Steinbeck, but don't read (present tense) him much. Probably should take my head out of the Hebrew sand. My liturairy cents-ability is gittin purdy pore.

    That description is quite accurate, though -- but only when applied to others. I'm rather forgiving of my own weaknesses.

    This exchange has brought a nostalgic tear to mine eye. Now, I could just give you a rib bustin' hug, the event would be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree totally with point #1 - my family whines when I keep the thermostat at 60 degrees and they walk around in short sleeved shirts. Can they come spend a week with you so they will be more appreciative of home?

    ReplyDelete