Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Varmint Update

Well, it was skunks. We had sort of settled on raccoons, but my good friend Vern told me it was skunks. (And, Vern ought to know, being that he is Parowan's City Forester and resident Utah Master Gardener.) Vern's neighbor has chickens, and the chickens attract skunks, and his neighbor has killed six of them this summer . . . skunks, not chickens.

Vern said that the skunks on his side of town ate all his sweet corn. I asked him how he stopped it. He told me that he quit planting sweet corn.

Vern also told me that his neighbor catches the skunks in a live trap, throws a blanket over the trap, and runs a hose under the blanket: the other end of the hose attaches to the tail-pipe of the neighbor's idling pick-up truck. In Vern's opinion, that activity is somewhat inhumane, but Rural Ways is currently in the grip of shredded-sweet-corn-rage, so it doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment