Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Electric Bills

I haven't figured out a way to stop buying gasoline for the vehicles, but we have cut our natural gas bill to near zero. The only other energy that we purchase each month is electricity. Unfortunately, this house is an electricity hog. Over the past three months we have averaged $103/month on electricity. That is a hard number to swallow for a nineteenth century homesteader. In Escalante we would spend about half of that on a very bad month. Of course, this house is all electric—electric hot water heater, electric range, electric dryer. Plus, I've moved my office into the house now, so we are running two computers, two monitors, and two printers each day. But, still, there has got to be a way to cut our consumption. (And I'm not trying to be righteous here; I'm just cheap.) Voila. The bath water is heating on the woodstove. It makes me feel so little-house-on-the-prairie.

2 comments:

  1. You will be REALLY old-school if everyone uses the SAME bath water. Now that's funky. Puts me in mind of "baby" and "bathwater" idioms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You caught me. So much for my nineteenth century homesteader facade: We do NOT share the water. A fresh pot for every chicken in the house.

    ReplyDelete