Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sewer Rooter

When Chris the plumber was here celebrating the new year with us, one of the things he found was a tangle of roots in our sewer line. They were having a negative impact on the flushing of solids, so Chris removed them for us. They looked like elm roots to me and, right outside the house, growing against the foundation, was a clump of elms. Today, the snow and ice had melted sufficiently for me to work into the base of the clump with my chainsaw. And look what I found? An outdoor sewer drain with, presumably, an underground connection to our main sewer pipe. The perfect place for roots to find nourishment. Don't let the elm trees grow up against your foundation, damaging your sewer, your roof, and your walls.

1 comment:

  1. I'd be a little nervous when I sit down to deposit some "solids" that a tree root may do some routing in your own personal sewer pipe. Be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete