Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Garden Layout

I more or less promised that there would be no more posts about The Homestead's year-round winter. Instead, there may be some interest in the progress of our garden. We went with 120 square feet this year (30 x 40), which is probably our largest to date. We may add ten feet to the length next year because irrigation hoses are sold in fifty foot lengths. (Right now we have a number of J-shaped irrigation lines.) Anyway, as you can see from this picture . . . snapped on 11 May 2010 . . . we have a nice row of little onions poking up. The fence directly behind the row of onions will support the peas as they grow larger. The peas have sprouted, but they are currently covered by, um, manna from heaven. In the background, there is a row of cone shaped things called "Wall-o-waters." These are protecting our tomato plants from, well, the effects of global warming. As this picture demonstrates, gardening can be year round family fun no matter where you live.

2 comments:

  1. hummm...I have a similar photo from my "garden" taken today as well. I have a few choice words to say about manna-from-heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DD - I'll update my "Household Happenings" later today. You'll have to see my ingenious way to cover up my lone tomato plant! Just uncovered him today (he's been "under wraps" for 3 days now). I think he liked his "incubation" period.

    Hopefully that was your 'last blast'.

    ReplyDelete